My mom made this dish a lot when I was growing up. I prefer it to plain steamed squash (which she also made). It’s a very easy way to enjoy eating vegetables!
- A bunch of squash: yellow, Mexican, zucchini, pretty much any kind will work. No need to peel or otherwise process it.
- salt and pepper
- Cut the squash into rounds and steam the rounds until translucent and soft.
- Remove the squash in the steamer basket and empty the water from the pot.
- Put squash back in the pot and mash with potato masher. Smoothness is not the goal; there should be chunks.
- Add butter, salt, and pepper to taste. Pepper flakes might also be nice.
- If there’s more liquid in the mash than you would like, heat over medium-low until it evaporates to the desired consistency.
Chef’s note: This dish keeps/reheats nicely, so make a big pot of it!
–Recipe courtesy Emily’s Mom!