- 4 cups raspberries, picked over
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup Creme de Cassis (black currant liqueur) [I didn’t have this so I used 1/6 cup lemoncello and 1/6 cup creme de violette]
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 1 recipe Piecrust [I used a premade pic crust and I topped it with a trimmed sheet of pastry dough]
- 2 tablespoons sweet butter
- 3 paper-thin slices of lemon
Preheat oven to 425 F.
Toss raspberries and sugar together in a mixing bowl. Whisk Cassis and cornstarch together in a small bowl until smooth. Stir Cassis mixture, lemon juice, and salt gently into berries.
Roll out two thirds of the pastry and line the pie pan; leave edges untrimmed. Spoon in the berries, dot with butter, and arrange lemon slices overlapping slightly in the center of the berries.
Roll out remaining pastry into a 10-inch round and cut into 1/2-inch strips. Arrange over berries in a lattice pattern. Trim overhanging pastry; bring edge of lower crust over lattice and crimp edge decoratively.
Set on the middle rack of the oven and bake at 425 F. for 15 minutes. Lower heat to 350 F. and bake for another 30 to 40 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling.
–Recipe courtesy The Silver Palate Cookbook by Julee Rosso & Sheila Lukins
Ugly but tasty pie: