As per usual, I needed to use up some FFTY chard, so I thought I’d try something new. It’s always dangerous to realize you’re cooking from a recipe that is identified as “Southern Food” but despite containing bacon, it didn’t seem incredibly unhealthy. I mean, it has chard, right?!
- 1 cup chopped purple onion [I used a yellow onion]
- 3 cups chopped Swiss chard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 to 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 cups sharp Cheddar cheese [I used caramelized onion Cheddar – yum!]
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- Grease a 9-inch pie plate or spray with nonstick baking spray. Heat oven to 350°.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Cook the onion until just tender. Add chopped chard and continue cooking, stirring, until the chard is wilted. Toss with the salt and pepper and crumbled bacon. Stir in the cheese and beaten eggs.
- Pour into the prepared pie plate. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the quiche is firm and lightly browned around the edges.
–Recipe courtesy Diana Rattray/southernfood.about.com.