As I mentioned in a previous post, I had a plethora of green onions to use up. This quiche also helped me do that. I also got all improvisey and added a can of corn. I didn’t have as much cheese on hand as it called for, and therefore it came out a little dry, but it still was pretty tasty, with the bacon, onion, corn, and eggs combining flavors nicely.
- 9 inch pie shells
- 1 cup sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup cheddar cheese or 1 cup swiss cheese
- 6 slices bacon, crisp cooked and chopped up
- [I added a can of corn]
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup light cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Bake the pie shell for 12 minutes or until just golden.
- Let it cool for 8 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- Cook onions in oil till tender.
- Sprinkle cheese in bottom of pie shell. Top with bacon and onion.
- Combine the remaining ingredients.
- Pour over cheese in pie shell.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes or until set.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.