I have to admit that I don’t generally enjoy turnips. I find them bitter and generally disappointing. Luckily, this recipe we received with them in the FFTY covered them in onions and cream, which helped with my opinion of them!
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
- 4 cups peeled, thinly sliced turnips
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 1-quart casserole. Melt 1 Tbsp butter and lightly sauté onions until just wilted.
- Layer a third of the sliced turnips in the casserole dish; top with a third of the onion; sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of flour, 1/3 teaspoon of salt, and one grind of pepper; pat with dollops from 1 tablespoon of butter. Repeat this layering twice.
- Mix milk and cream together and pour over the turnips. Cover and bake in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes, then remove cover and bake for another 30-45 minutes, or until tender and bubbly.