Even though I am dubious that there is a better recipe than my Tasty Brussels Sprouts, I decided to indulge Woody’s love of mustard with this recipe. It was pretty good, but I still think nothing beats our usual. Also, the mustard got too cooked when added during the process. I also added some afterwards to boost the flavors. It worked well.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons butter (preferably organic)
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts, blemished or tough outer leaves removed, trimmed and quartered
- 1 tablespoon prepared dijon mustard [I added more mustard after cooking – I thought the mustard flavor was mellowed too much by cooking]
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Coarsely ground black pepper to taste
In a large, deep skillet, warm oil and butter. When the butter melts, add the Brussels sprouts. Saute for about 5 minutes, until the Brussels sprouts become tender and the outer leaves turn bright green.
Add the mustard, maple syrup, and lemon juice, and saute until the ingredients are well mixed and the Brussels sprouts are nicely glazed.
Season to taste with freshly cracked black pepper. Enjoy!
–Recipe Courtesy Miri Rotkovitz/about.com.