Once again, I had extra egg whites I needed to use up. From now on, this is probably going to be my go-to recipe when that happens because it’s so easy and delicious. All you need is whites and powdered sugar. That’s it! They turned out a little weird looking (bubbly in the middle) but the flavor and texture was divine. If you have time, check out elephantine’s original post linked at the bottom of the recipe. Her pictures are amazing.
- Start with two eggs at room temperature. Separate the yolks from the whites. Save the yolks for something else.
- Measure out one cup of powdered sugar.
- Whip the egg whites on a medium speed until foamy. This should only take a few minutes.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar a little bit at a time, while continuing to mix on a medium speed.
- Continue whipping until the mixture is glossy and stiff peaks form, about 10 minutes. The mixture should stay put if you hold the mixing bowl upside down.
- Preheat your oven to 200° F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Fill a pastry bag with the meringue (or use a plastic baggie with a corner snipped off).
- Pipe the meringue onto the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 90 minutes.
- Makes about 2 dozen cookies.
–Recipe courtesy elephantine.
Weird but tasty!