Believe it or not, but we’ve still got tomatoes ripening on our mini tomato farm. One or two of the varieties even seem to prefer early-fall weather to early- or mid-summer weather! It’s nothing like the extreme bounty of August, but we still need to use them up. This tomato sauce from FFTY’s newsletter was really helpful in that regard. We enjoyed it on many a pasta dish!
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, finely diced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh basil (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, bring the sauce to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Add the basil and simmer for 5 minutes more. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
–Recipe courtesy FFTY newsletter, September 7, 2009.
Sauce on gnocchi: