I love mushrooms, I love soup, and I love barley, so this recipe called to me when I saw it in Everyday Food.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 10 ounces button mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 ounce dried sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- [I added chopped flat-leaf parsley at the end]
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high. Add onion, garlic, and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Saute until onion is softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add button mushrooms and cook until beginning to soften, about 8 minutes.
- Add broth, 4 cups water, and shiitake mushrooms. Bring to a boil and cook until all mushrooms are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add barley, reduce to a simmer, and cover. Cook until barley is tender, about 12 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
–Recipe courtesy Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food magazine, October 2012.