I bought some fresh bagged cranberries at Safeway with the plan of making something with them, but the next day I got a box of them in the FFTY box. Fresh organic cranberries win every time. This cake had a great mixture of sweet brown cake and sour squishy cranberries. The cranberries from the supermarket are in the freezer now; I’ll need to break some out to make this again!
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 1 1/4 cups cranberries, partially thawed if frozen
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Stir together cranberries and 2 tablespoons sugar. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 3/4 cup sugar. In a small bowl, whisk together milk and egg, then whisk in butter. Whisk milk mixture into flour mixture until combined.
- Pour batter into skillet and scatter cranberries on top. Bake until center springs back when lightly touched, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before serving (or let sit at room temperature, up to 8 hours).
- Note: Let cool for 15 minutes before serving (or let sit at room temperature for up to 8 hours).
–Recipe courtesy Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food magazine, November 2012.