I had a bag of frozen Trader Joe’s blueberries and a bag of frozen Trader Joe’s pineapple bits in our freezer for probably a year and I wanted to think of something to do with them. After googling, I found this recipe. I didn’t bother making a crust; I just used pre-made. That meant I didn’t get to lattice it and it didn’t end up looking very pretty, but it made a nice-tasting pie, anyway!
- 2 1/2 Tbs cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks, about the same size as the blueberries
- 1 Tbs of fresh pineapple juice or lime juice
- Mix the cornstarch and the sugar. Add the berries and stir to coat. Stir in the pineapple and pineapple juice and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll out the pie dough and make the top and bottom crusts. Fill the pie. Add the top crust and brush with an egg white beaten with a little water.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 375 degrees for 40-50 minutes. The pie will be bubbly and golden brown.
- Let cool on a wire rack. Serve warm with your favorite ice cream.
Recipe courtesy thisisdairyfree.blogspot.com.